D.C. and Avery discuss the techniques we use to set a scene, including D.C.'s "lizard in a box" theory on character and setting.
The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt
A Fatal Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum: Murder in Ancient Rome, by Emma Southon
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo
Kushiel's Dart, by Jacqueline Carey
Drink Recipe 1:
Smoked Salted Caramel Martini:
Salt foam (optional):
- 5 oz water
- 1.5 tsp smoked sea salt
- 3 tsp Foam Magic
Stir salt into water first to dissolve, then blend salt water and Foam Magic until it forms a foam. I used a small smoothie blender for this.
- 1 oz vodka
- 2 oz creme de cacao
- 1.5 oz Hershey's caramel syrup
- 1.5 oz milk or preferred milk substitute
- Hershey’s chocolate syrup (optional for garnish)
- If not making salt foam, you'll need a table salt/smoked salt mix for rim
(depending on how strong your smoked salt is, just cut it with table salt until it tastes good to your palate)
- Mix vodka, creme de cacao, caramel syrup, and milk in a mixing glass and stir well. All ingredients should be chilled - if not, stir with ice to chill and then strain out the ice.
- If you're not using the salt foam, rim a martini or coupe glass with the smoked salt/table salt mix instead at this stage.
- Pour the mixing glass into the prepared glass.
- If using foam, pour it gently on top.
- Drizzle lightly with chocolate syrup if desired.
Drink Recipe 2:
Ice and Vines:
- 2 oz blue raspberry vodka
- 1.5 oz simple syrup
- 1 oz lime juice
- 6-8 mint leaves
- 1-1.5 cup of ice (depending on desired consistency)
- Granulated sugar (for rim)
- Mint sprig (optional for garnish)
- Muddle mint and simple syrup together, then strain through a fine strainer to remove leaves.
- Add the strained syrup, vodka, lime, and ice to blender, blend well.
- Rim a glass with granulated sugar and pour into the glass. Garnish with a mint sprig.